Thursday, June 22, 2006

Landscaping Improvements Pay Off Big

Money spent sprucing up the yard with trees, shrubs, lighting, and patios is well worth it — especially when it comes time to sell the home, a new study says. The report, by Arbor National Mortgage, found that 84 percent of real estate professionals believe a house on a treed lot would fetch at least 20 percent more than one on a lot without trees.

Another of the company’s surveys suggested that while shelling out for top-of-the line landscaping may only bring in an additional 4 percent to 5 percent, spending minimal amounts has a penalty. Home swith average landscaping sell for 20 percent more than homes with just fair landscaping.

The American Society of Landscape Architects suggests budgeting 5 percent to 10 percent of a home’s value for its initial landscaping.Before launching into a landscaping project, keep these pointers in mind:

1. If you can't afford to hire a landscape architect, check out the services offered by nurseries and big-box home improvement retailers, such as Home Depot. Many offer design services — sometimes without charge — if you are buy plants there.

2. You can save about half the cost of landscaping if you do the work yourself. But keep in mind that large trees are often killed when carried uncovered in the back of the buyer's SUV from the nursery to the house, not because they are planted poorly. Also, most nurseries won't guarantee plants they don't install.

3. If you're trying to stick to a tight budget, remember that a few larger plants will have a greater visual impact than many small ones.

4. Before planting trees, determine how large they will become and what leaf pattern will develop. If you plant a big tree too close to the house, the growing roots could cause the foundation to crack. And if you place it too near a sidewalk or driveway, root expansion could cause the pavement to buckle.

Source: Orlando Sentinel, Lew Sichelman (6/11/06)
________________________________
Want to know how your landsaping has increased the value of your home? Visit my website for your Free home evaluation.

5 Comments:

At 4:33 AM, Blogger Credit Score Improvement said...

I was looking for information, but I haven't found what I was looking for. Recently I was searching the net for a debt consolidation loan and I came upon Los Angeles mortgages. I was able to get a lot of good information from http:\\www.customortgage.net. I got a free credit report and got qualified for a low interest rate. I was also able to consolidate a lot of debt that I had into my mortagage payment. I would recommend http:\\www.customortgage.net to anyone looking for a California mortgage whether it's a purchase or a refinance. Check http:\\www.customortgage.net out, I'm glad I did.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Credit Score Improvement said...

I recently faced a lot of tough times in my life. The worst part was how my financial life suffered due to some bad personal decisions that I had made. My biggest mistake was taking on a lot of debt which brought me close to bancruptcy. I was really scared untill I found http:\\www.customortgage.net. They helped me get my affairs together and fix my credit enough to get a bad credit mortgage loan with a reasonably low rate. Poor credit home loan helped me when no one else could. I'm glad I was able to get my mortgage refinanced before it was too late. I would suggest that if you are in the same boat, check out http:\\www.customortgage.net before it's too late.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger va beyatch said...

Landscaping? That is really odd. When I start to look for a used home, I will be looking for an Inground Pool. I figure it is best to let the previous owner take the huge loss on a pool installation.

You should generally do improvements for yourself, and not because you think a greater fool is going to come along and pay you double for your purchase.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home